Author Dave Butts posted the following on the PrayNetwork.org. Perhaps a new way to think about prayer:
Joining God in Watchful Praying
By Dave Butts
One of the most fascinating aspects of watchful praying is how closely it ties us to the very nature and activity of God Himself. God is a watcher! Again and again in the Bible we read of how He watches over the affairs of both nations and individuals. He calls us to join Him on His watch…to devote ourselves to watch and pray that we might participate with our Lord in His purposes. What an amazing privilege! Carefully consider these Scriptures that point to God on His watch:
• "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you" (Genesis 28:15).
• "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you" (Psalm 32:8).
• "He rules forever by His power, His eyes watch the nations – let not the rebellious rise up against Him" (Psalm 66:7).
• "The LORD will keep you from all harm – He will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore" (Psalm 121:7-8).
• "The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good" (Proverbs 15:3).
Would you today join with a watching God? He is calling His people to such an intimate place with Him that we begin to see some aspects of what He is seeing as He allows us that privilege. Our watching is for the purpose of praying into our world the purposes and plans of God. How amazing is the grace and calling of God that He would grant us the joy and favor of laboring alongside Him through watchful praying!
(excerpted from Prayer and The End of Days by David Butts.)